Damion is a seasoned litigator who represents clients in a variety of complex disputes around the country, including business, employment, and insurance cases. He has represented clients from individuals to Fortune 500 companies in cases related to labor practices, real estate transactions, intellectual property, investments, financial services. Damion handles individual, class action, and representative litigation, and has represented clients in trial and appellate matters in multiple states.
Damion started his career at leading intentional law firm Sullivan & Cromwell, LLP, where he represented publicly-traded companies and large financial institutions in high stakes nationwide litigation involving claims of antitrust violations and unfair competition, securities violations, and intellectual property infringement. As a litigation and restructuring associate, he also represented institutional investors and companies in pre-bankruptcy negotiations and bankruptcy proceedings involving multiple billions of dollars in investments and debts. Damion then joined litigation boutique Van Vleck, Turner & Zaller LLP, where he founded and managed the firm’s business and corporate practice, representing technology startups, investors, and entrepreneurs.
Damion also clerked for the Honorable David O. Carter of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
He has devoted a significant part of his work to pro bono matters, including representing Central American refugees who fled gang violence and domestic abuse, and class action litigation establishing the right of mentally disabled immigrants to counsel in immigration proceedings. Damion’s pro bono work has earned him an Equal Justice Advocacy Award from the ACLU of Southern California and attorney of the month from Kids in Need of Defense, which protects the rights of unaccompanied children in immigration proceedings.
- Obtained a confidential seven-figure settlement on behalf of a real-estate investor in bad faith case against property insurance company.
- Brought action on behalf of five individuals challenging illegal practices by government contractor, resulting in a settlement in excess of damages and rewriting of municipal policy.
- Secured an order freezing assets of real estate broker after fraudulent sale of a property, prompting a quick settlement in excess of client’s damages and attorney’s fees.
- Successfully defended business owners in an individual and representative action resulting in dismissal of all individual defendants, dismissal of all representative claims, and favorable award after a weeklong arbitration proceeding.
- Defended franchisors in representative action by a disgruntled former employee, obtaining a sanctions order that resulted in a settlement for nuisance value.
- Resolved claim alleging $12 million in personal liability against a real estate investor through settlement for a small fraction of his liability exposure.
- Pursued claims for a defrauded investor through civil litigation and three bankruptcy cases, securing a non-dischargeable judgment in excess of the investment.
- Represented a financial services firm in defending bankruptcy claims totaling more than $16 billion.
- Represented a major shoe retailer in post-trial proceedings and on appeal, successfully reducing the largest trademark infringement verdict in history to that time by nearly 80%.
- Represented intellectual property firm in multiple licensing disputes over complex software code, involving patent and anti-trust claims.
- Represented inventor in suit against major corporation for misappropriation of an invention, resulting in a significant confidential settlement.
- Represented owner of a prominent sports team in complex dispute with league and co-owner.