David Affeld is a trial lawyer who represents plaintiffs and defendants in business, intellectual property, insurance coverage, and employment disputes. He has obtained numerous multi-million dollar judgments and defense verdicts at trial and arbitration for his clients. He has been the lead lawyer on multiple appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, the California Courts of Appeal, and the California and Nevada Supreme Courts. His technology cases have involved patented laser systems, multi-point video conferencing methods, military flight simulation software, and the national missile defense system.
David regularly tries cases when reasonable settlement value is not available. Recent trial/arbitration victories include:
- Judgment in favor of developers and against two insurance carriers for $16,839,787 after arbitration of an insurance coverage dispute on behalf of a mixed-use development project in Oakland, California.
- Defense judgment and punitive damage award on a cross-complaint in favor of an insured against her public adjustor. On behalf of the same insured arising out of the same loss, obtained a settlement of $6.5 million against her insurance carrier in settlement of bad faith claims.
- Judgment after trial for $3,262,305 on behalf of investors in a publicly traded company for non-delivery of stock. Established alter ego liability against two officers/directors of the publicly traded company.
- On behalf of one of the same investors in a separate case, defense judgment after trial defeating alter ego allegations seeking to impose multi-million dollar liability.
- Judgment after trial in favor of two members of an LLC ousting a third member and gaining full control of all the LLC’s assets.
- Judgment after trial on behalf of two brothers against family members, unwinding a fraudulently created trust and restoring assets valued at $2.2 million to the brothers.
- Judgment after trial in favor of a general partner against the other partner for $1.78 million, removing the other partner from the partnership.
- Defense judgment after trial on behalf of a high-end antique dealer regarding an alleged consignment of antiques valued at $1.3 million.
- Judgment after trial for $975,000 on behalf of a military air craft parts supplier against a joint venture partner.
- Defense verdict after trial on behalf of two orthopedic surgeons accused of workplace disability discrimination and wrongful termination.
Before starting his own firm, David practiced in the business litigation departments of two national law firms, Brobeck, Phleger & Harrison and Shearman & Sterling. He has been recognized by his peers as a SuperLawyer in business litigation every year from 2009 through 2016. He received a B.S. in physics from UCLA and a J.D. from Cornell University, where he was an editor on the International Law Review.